Photios (Photis) A. Stavrou received his Diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (AUTH) in 2008. He was awarded his Ph.D degree in Electrical Engineering from the Department of ECE, University of Cyprus (UCY) in 2016. As of November of 2016, he is a Postdoc at the Department of Electronic Systems at Aalborg University.
His main research interests target the design and analysis of wireless network control systems. The study of such systems necessitates the interplay between dynamical systems and their communication aspects. Toward this end, his research can be characterized as interdisciplinary because it combines tools from control and estimation theories, communications, and convex optimization. Specifically, his research spans the following areas:
- Properties of information measures in systems with memory and feedback like for example, functional properties of directed information and conditional directed information and their utility in investigating the extremums of feedback capacity and causal rate distortion.
- Causal and Zero-Delay processing of information in systems with feedback. For example, the fundamental limits of causal rate distortion theory in systems with memory.
- Low-delay joint source-channel coding. For example, the joint source-channel coding between a source with memory and a channel with feedback and their distortion-cost trade-offs.
- Feedback capacity in communications. For example, the necessary and sufficient conditions for deriving closed form expressions of unknown channels with memory and feedback.
- Communication for control. For example, quantization and rate performance of unstable sources with memory in closed loop systems.
- April 2017 - Award: Recipient of the seal of excellence for a high quality submitted proposal at the Marie-Sklodowska Curie Actions Individual Fellowship (MSCA-IF-2016).
- April 2017 - Accepted conference paper entitled "A lower bound on causal and zero-delay rate distortion for scalar autoregressive sources" in Symposium on Information Theory and Signal Processing in the Benelux.
- November 2016 - New Position: Postdoc, Department of Electronic Systems, Signal and information Processing Group, at Aalborg University, Denmark.
- August 2016 - Accepted journal paper entitled "Directed information on abstract spaces: properties and variational equalities" in IEEE Transactions on Information Theory.
- March 2017 - Talk: School of Electrical Engineering, Department of Information Sciences and Engineering, at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.
- March 2017 - Short Visit: School of Electrical Engineering, Department of Information Sciences and Engineering, at KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm.
- October 2016 - Talk: Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Information Theory and Coding Group, at Universitat Pombeau Fabra, Barcelona.
- October 2016 - Short visit: Department of Information and Communication Technologies, Information Theory and Coding Group, at Universitat Pombeau Fabra, Barcelona.
- July 2016 - Talk: The International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT2016), Barcelona, Spain.
- April 2016 - Successful Thesis defense: entitled "Extremum problems of directed information."